Mahila Mandal Barmer Agor is the result of initial struggle of the its founder president, Mrs Mumtaz Ben, who in 1983 started highlighting problems like water, road, school, eletctiricty, etc., in Indira Colony on the outskirts of Barmer city. She organised residents of the localities, made all out efforts to get these facilities and got success too.
After this initial success, the organisation initiated collective efforts to promote education in urban and rural areas of the district and arrest population increase throughnational programmes of adult education and family welfare. The founder visualised that equality in the society can be brought about by educating women, changing mindset of men and empowering them. The organisation did commendable work in promoting family planning in both urban and rural areas.
In the initial stages, the organisation did commendable work in reaching relief in calamities like outbreak of malaria, famine and flood. It formed a group, collectd and distributed relief material like medicines, foodstuff and blanket in collaboration with the administration, voluntary organisations and trusts.
Seeing the continued contribution of the organisation the then Collector of Barmer, Mr Sohanlal, guided the organisation to register itself as a society. The organisation got registration certificate on January 25, 1991.
- Registered under the Rajasthan Society Act, 1958
- Registered under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, 1976.
- Registered under Sections 12A, 80G, 35AC adn 10(23C)iv of the Income Tax Act, 1961
Activities at a Glance
- Attending severe problems related to foodgrains, employment, drinking water and local employment during severe famine conditions
- Promotion of awareness and organisational unity for promoting educationa and information systems
- Promotion of basic facilities like education, health, road, drinking water, etc
- Ensuring access of people to the government's developmental works, poverty alleviation and public welfare schemes
- Working towards access of old, widow, disabled and destitute families to the services for them
- Advocacy for activating panchayat and administration and lack of government monitoring
- Promotion of people's organisations for advocacy